Urban Scholars Program
The Urban Scholars Program is a graduate-level initiative that combines classroom training with real-world community service in socioeconomically depressed neighborhoods in the city of Detroit.
This program includes a generous grant that will provide full tuition assistance for 15 qualified men and women candidates. Individuals must demonstrate a strong academic aptitude and a deep commitment to ministering to the hurting and underserved population in the city of Detroit.
Participants of the Urban Scholars Program must agree to a three-year period of ministry service in a specified neighborhood in the city of Detroit. Each individual must exhibit strong academic skills, a track record for community service and a high capacity for community leadership.
Sustainable Ministry Programs
Our intended outcome is that each neighborhood would see the creation of sustainable ministry programs. Through the hands of academically well-trained Christian leaders, we will address the economy, family and spiritual challenges of the community.
The application deadline for Fall semester is July 1. The application deadline for Spring semester is November 1.
- Application Requirements
- Program Details
Applicants seeking to participate in the Urban Scholars Program must:
- Meet all standard admissions requirements for Moody Theological Seminary
- Submit a one-page essay on how they envision using their theological training to impact the city of Detroit in addition to applying for admission into Moody Theological Seminary
- Demonstrate a strong academic aptitude along with a deep commitment to ministering to the hurting and underserved population in the city of Detroit
- Exhibit a track record of community service and a high capacity for community leadership
All participants of the Urban Scholars Program must:
- Agree to a 3-year period of ministry service in a specified neighborhood in the city of Detroit
- Complete 18 credit hours over the course of each academic year
- Perform a minimum of 30 hours per semester of community service in the city of Detroit through pre-approved service agencies